Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Worth of a Garden

As I drove home from the garden this morning, I thought I’d write about the different ways gardening benefits me. I’m not sure if my garden has yet been financially profitable, and I guess it hasn’t mattered enough to me to bother keeping track. There are so many ways to profit. Here are a few, in no particular order.


  • The Harvest: This morning I brought home a bunch of carrots, a bunch of green onions, a handful of cilantro, enough basil to make a fine batch of pesto, and a lovely bundle of lavender to tie with a purple ribbon and take to a friend. And I mustn’t forget the one late pea that I enjoyed while I watered. Every day’s harvest is different, and I am learning to use what God provides when He provides it.


  • Spiritual Lessons: Well, yeah, learning to enjoy and be satisfied with what God provides, because each day’s provision is enough, and usually more than enough: I still have potatoes from two days ago. There are too many spiritual lessons learned in the garden to list, but you’ll find hints of them sprinkled throughout this small essay.


  • Gifts to Give: This is one of my favorite things about gardening: there is always something to share. Lavender, lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini, a handful of fresh peas for my pea-loving son. Mmm.... I’m looking forward to making and sharing salsa later this summer. I think even the poorest farmer can’t help sharing a little of his harvest. There is so much joy in it.


  • Quiet Time: Because my closest garden neighbors don’t always come when I’m there, I often have and hour or so just to quiet my mind. The fence around our garden seems to have the magical power of filtering out the worries of the day, so while I am there I think of little other than pulling weeds, how much water the ground is soaking up, pinching back stems that will rob energy from the fruit, and what needs to be picked that day. I enjoy the bumble bees on the lavender and the honey bees on the thyme and worry that I’ve seen only one lady bug this summer. I wonder at the amazing beauty of a squash blossom or at how the pungent smell of a tomato plant is a built-in defense. Gardening is a restful work.


  • Fellowship: There are times when my neighbors do show up. And I am glad when they do. We talk plants and pests and plans for next year. We don’t know each other well enough to talk of personal things. One good neighbor is going to water my garden while I’m away in exchange for the harvest. We all share a desire to produce and eat healthy, tasty vegetables. And we all, knowingly or not, share a delight in God’s creation and the first work of our shared ancestors.


  • Sun: It has been much in the news these past couple of years that many Americans are not getting enough sun. My time in the garden ensures that I get an adequate dose of Vitamin D. I think I am happier and healthier for it.


  • A Little Exercise: Most of the exercise of gardening happens in the spring: hauling in soil and compost, tilling and hoeing, planting. But weeding and watering and other maintenance tasks do require a little work every other day or so. It’s a pleasant way to burn a few calories.


  • Is all this worth the time, money, and effort? Yes. I think so.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment