Sunday, September 6, 2009

Lessons from the Van Jones Resignation

It strikes me that we all have something to learn from the events that led to Van Jones' resignation. In the heat of our passions, we must exercise great discretion in the words we choose. Our words, for better or worse, will come back to haunt us.

It wasn't that long ago that it made rhetorical sense to tailor speeches to specific audiences. Van Jones was speaking to sympathetic audiences when he made the statements that eventually brought him down. But we no longer have isolated audiences. With modern technology, especially the ubiquitous cell phone, everything we say can be recorded and tucked away for dissemination at a kairotic moment, a moment when either our friends or our enemies can make good use of our words.

In some ways, I feel badly for Jones. He appears to be a man who strongly believes the things he says. He may be completely sincere in his motives. I think he just has no idea how far outside the mainstream his ideas really are.

As I've watched the various clips from speeches and interviews, I wondered what I've said that could come back to bite me. Not much of what I've written or said is published, but what have I said in chat rooms and in the comment sections for various news articles or video clips? I don't use my full name, but my e-mail address is there in cyberspace somewhere. I'm sure that someone has the technology to find my comments.

People should take strong stands on important matters. But taking a strong position doesn't require radical accusations, crude language, or the mocking of others. We should first be well informed, and then we should speak reasonably and articulately.

There isn't much I can do to change what I have said up till now, but I can certainly keep a tighter control on what I say and write in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment